3 Online MPH Programs
- Temple University: This school provides an online MPH – Social and Behavioral Sciences for students interested in the social component of public health. Students in this program can take courses that consider stress and its effect on health, public health nutrition, and patient education. These courses can help students better understand how social aspects of human life can play a role in overall public health. Programs at this level typically take 2 to 3 years to complete.
- The University of Southern California: This university currently offers several different concentrations for public health students, most prominently the Social and Behavior Science major. This degree program helps students gain a better understanding of how individualism and the environment can contribute to public health dilemmas, as well as promote critical thinking during the improvement process. Course work for this program focuses on health data, research, and leadership.
- The University of Florida: The 50+ credit hour program at the University of Florida can help students prepare for an in-depth career in public health. The Social and Behavioral Science concentration focuses on a student’s need for behavior education and social interaction when considering how public health can be improved. This program takes around 2 years on average for students that are enrolled full-time.
What You Can Do with an MPH in Social Public Health
- Social Work: Social Public Health can include many different areas of society. Some of the most common career options for professionals in this field are found within the social work domain. In this area, professionals may work with individuals that have had struggles with drug addiction, crime, or even family issues or abuse. If you pursue a career in this field, you may work with people to find programs to help increase their overall health, analyze a person’s needs and provide referrals, or even advocate for clients within a legal setting.
- Community Health: Community health centers across the country can provide citizens with programs and knowledge in various areas of public health. Social Public Health is a huge part of every day life for people from all walks of life, which makes community centers a great place to reach people from all age groups and backgrounds. If you work in this area, you could provide health advice to people that are struggling with making productive relationship, those with addiction issues, or youth that are learning the importance of appropriate social relationships.
- Research: How social interaction and behavior interacts with public health can be an intriguing factor of study for research professionals. What is learned from research in this field can help with the development of social policies and regulations that can help increase Social Public Health for all people. If you pursue a career in this field, you could play a part in observing how people interact within a social setting, witness how behaviors can affect individual health, and provide results that can help during the policy development process.
- Program Planning: After research in Social Public Health has concluded, professionals in policy development can use the data obtained to help plan, develop, and implement helpful Social programs. These programs are created to help provide better environments for public health, emotional growth, and health education. As part of this job, you may analyze the effectiveness of current programs, make changes to planning that can help increase awareness and availability, and fund programs that have been released for use in the public domain. In this field, you could truly be a part of great Social change for your community.
- Education: Social Public Health in the educational setting can consists of different topics and programs for students that are of varying ages. It is important to address Social Public Health within the education system, so that students that are moving through can analyze their own social relationships and find areas for change as they mature. If you find a career working in the education system, you may provide educational programs to students that help them identify their strengths and weaknesses in terms of social relationships. This information can then be used to help find the best path for improvement before entering into adulthood.