What You Can Do with an MPH in Biostatistics
Once you have completed a degree program in Biostatistics, you can pursue careers in many fields that are related to the overall public health of the country. Fields such as this one can make a great contribution to future research and development in the field, as well as providing a foundation for testing of current theories and programs already present in public health. Some of the most popular fields for professionals in Biostatistics are listed below.
- Research: MPH – Biostatistics graduates can be a great fit for the field of research. Using statistics that are relevant to individual and group health, specialists in this field can observe the effectiveness of implemented environment changes on a public’s health. They may also provide insight into the usefulness of public health programs that were designed to prevent widespread illness. In this field, you may work in laboratory or office settings, either individually or with a team.
- Leadership: Having a profound knowledge of the prevalence of disease and illness, as well as the effectiveness of different prevention or treatment agendas can put you in place for careers in leadership. Leadership positions in healthcare, community planning, or even research may be available to students that have completed this degree program and have some experience in the field. Working in this area may consist of providing assistance and direction to groups of employees and overseeing the research process during clinical trials or hypothesis testing.
- Education: Educators are a primary resource for upcoming students that are interested in becoming a part of the public health field. Educators in Biostatistics can teach students that are on the same research-driven path, or even for students that are pursuing generalist degrees in public health. The main goal of the post-secondary teacher is to share his or her knowledge with students in order to create more effective and better educated Biostatistics professionals in the field.
- Medicine: Biostatistics is a huge and influential part of the medical field. Professionals that decide to work in the field of medicine can provide helpful insight into disease and illness prevention programs, lead teams of workers in the medical environment, or take part in clinical trials or tests that can help promote better care for patients in a hospital setting. If you choose to work in this area, you could be a part of a large team of medical experts that are all working towards advancing healthcare for all people.
- Government: Students that pursue degrees in this field may also have the opportunity to accept careers in government positions. The government is concerned with the health and well-being of citizens throughout the country. It calls upon professionals in Biostatistics to provide insight into helpful wellness programs, especially in areas that have a high prominence of disease and illness.